Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tricks of the trade

There are a few things to know when it comes to running, and that's what you need to find out before your race. What do you like to have on you? What don't you like to have? What outfit is comfortable? And where do you stash your keys?

I've developed a few do's and dont's for my races and I'll share them all with everyone. I'm nice like that.
Dont's:
  • Wear a fuel belt. I find they ride too high on my torso which annoys me. Plus, if you are in a race where there are aid stations, you will not lack for liquid. You should also be able to stash enough GU's in your shorts, bra, where ever, to not need a fuel belt. I've worn them twice. The first time I needed it for a tampon holder, and the second time I wore it to keep a phone on me. It was okay, just not my favorite. The second time I wore it, it ended up rubbing my side raw. OUCH! Not fun to deal with in a marathon. The only time I have really had a desire for a fuel belt that holds water, is when its 90+ degrees outside and I'm running a trail with few water fountains.

Apparently I have a firm view of fuel belts. I just hate that it bounces up and down with every step!

Do's:
  • Vaseline your toes. This will help prevent blisters...oh how I love vaseline on my toes. Slap it on, and dont use it sparingly.
  • Take an 8 hour tylenol before your race. I love this stuff--I swear it helps. Just make sure you try it before you race with it.
  • Music. Always have it, even if you might not use it. There are times when you need to focus your mind on something else besides your body--use music to distract your mind from the aches and pains. Other times I find that music drives me nuts and its one more thing for my mind to listen to. I still like to have the option of using it, so I take it with me.
  • I've never used Body Glide, but I hear it works well for spots that rub. I may be investing in some if I don't slim my thunder thighs back down to small.
Apparently I don't have any more advice. I'm a minimalist by nature, and try to run that way. My best word of advice is to find what works for you. And use vaseline on the toes, it's wonderful.

3 comments:

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

Vaseline really?! Sounds good to me!
I wanna start a better routine. I've been walking fro an hour and a half everyday for awhile now, and want to bump it up to jogging/walking....any tips for me?!

Becca and fam said...

Love your advice Colleen, I will be trying the Vaseline. I also can't wait to try out the banana idea this weekend. Any ideas on where to put your phone if you don't have a fuel belt?

Emily said...

Wow... I didn't realize that you actually kept this up! good job dude!