Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hydration and why you should listen to your body

There's a lot of talk on hydration. I've heard from coaches to drink, drink, drink. I've read in articles that the average person needs 20-30 ounces of water per hour during exercise. I've also read about horror stories where people over-hydrated (dilutional hyponatremia) and either get extremely sick and even die (very few times, but its happened).

I don't really have a recommendation. I am naturally an under-drinker, and struggle with keeping myself hydrated on days that I'm not putting in a long run. However, there are a few things I've learned.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. It's amazing how far this little advice can go. Before my husband was my husband, or my boyfriend, and we were just friends he came to me asking for training advice. I listened to him, and gave him this same advice. He was watching his pace so closely, and every day trying to run faster, that his runs got worse and worse. He couldn't figure out what was going wrong. I advised him to run hard on days your body feels good, take it easier on days your body is struggling. Let your body guide you. He took my advice, and his running actually improved.

In a race I let my body guide me. I listen to it to tell me if I want water or gatorade at the next aid station. Sometimes I want both. For the most part I will stop at every station and take a swig of something. I think it would take a lot of water to actually over-hydrate, and the body needs fluid in intense activities. I will admit that I always skip the last aid station in a marathon. Usually I'm afraid if I stop to take a drink, my legs might not start running again.

This probably wasn't much help. Hydration depends on so many things, the weather, your intensity, your body, etc. My advice is to listen to your body and drink before you are thirsty and keep sipping on something to keep you hydrated.

Did I mention you should listen to your body?

2 comments:

Becca and fam said...

Great advice on hydration, thanks!

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

I def need to drink more water, but I've been walking every single day and noticed that when i bring my water bottle I am drinking the whole thing rather quickly! so I must be thirsty....I'm starting to re fill the bottle when I reach my destination before I head back. Baby steps Mary...baby steps...